Date(s) - 10/10/2016
Categories No Categories
Applications are you now open for the Wildlife Queensland Cicada Awards – the Short Film & Animation Competition for Students across South-East Queensland that is giving youth a chance to be heard on environmental issues.
We hope you will promote this competition among your students, as it aims to engage students on environmental issues. It also provides a platform from which entrants can creatively offer suggestions and solutions.
In addition, there are a number of benefits for both the students, and your school, by taking part. These include:
- Prize monies totaling $2600 with 1st, 2nd and 3rd Prizes across two categories
- A Perpetual Trophy which is awarded to a School for outstanding contribution to the Cicada Awards
- Increasing students skills in video/camera equipment, editing and social media
- Building confidence and self-esteem through participation, and recognition at the Premiere Screening and Awards Presentation Evening
- Improving research, communication and creative skills
- Being inspired by past entrants and other young film-makers
- Being supported by industry professionals who provide free access to their stock library for video, music and photo stock supplies.
The inaugural Perpetual Trophy winner was Redlands College. Maybe your school could be the 2016 Winner!
We’ve got a website so as all the information you need is easily found including entry forms, terms and conditions, copies of winning films, photographs from the Premiere Screenings Awards Night . . . even a video tutorial on making a short film for the Cicada Awards.
Find all this and more on the Cicada Awards Blog
How to Enter
Step 1: Get an idea!
The Cicada Awards are short films (or animation) with an environmental theme relevant to South-East Queensland . . . and there are plenty of issues to choose from. You can learn about these from the media, environmental education centres, school projects, or by contacting organisations working to deal with these issues. Some of SEQ’s environment groups can be found on this interactive map and the boundaries of SEQ are on this SEQ Boundary map.
Step 2: Read the rules! And the criteria!
The Judging Panel give points for certain reasons which add up to determine winning entries. Be sure to know the Criteria they are judging your film on . . . read the Judging Criteria here. And, rules apply . . . like how long your short film can be, what it can be about and who can make it. So check out the 2016 Cicada Award Terms and Conditions.
Step 3: Write your script, film and edit!
VidPicPro produced a short film to help you film and edit your short film. Click on this Filming & Editing Tutorial Video to learn more about it. We’ll also have regular tips from those in the know so be sure to check out the Updates page here.
Step 4: Submit it!
The film must be in a particular format, received by a certain date, and we need to know who made it so be sure to fill out and include a 2016 Cicada Awards Entry Form with your entry.